[pct-l] Moronic Hiking Disorder

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Feb 8 19:43:41 CST 2008

Unsupported JMT  Reinhold writes:  Some guys on this list are fruitier  than
fruit cakes.....nuttier than the nuttiest corn nuts.......probably the  result
of to many nights at high elevation resulting in oxygen deprivation,  which
in turn causes brain cells to die, which in turn gives rise to a   condition
known in medical circles as  ''MORONIC  DISORDER''....very  frequently
associated with long distance hiking......can be fatal if left  untreated.......seek
medical help immediately.  Wheeeeeeeeeeeew is a  nurse and may be familiar with
this disorder and might be able to offer  advice.
Switchback replies: I resemble that remark.  I was  planning on giving a talk
tomorrow in Long Beach, CA on "Moronic Disorders  and the PCT Hiker".  I was
going to cover the history, treatment, and long  term effects of this common
trail malady.

There are many PCT hikers, especially thru hikers, who  exhibit recurring
symptoms.  They find the need to wear their old PCT  hiking clothes around the
house.  They want to campout in their backyard in  their hiking shelter.  They
play endlessly with their gear --- packing and  repacking.  They search the
Internet ruthlessly seeking new gear  ideas.  Cabin fever hits them harder than
with normal folks, who often  don't even know what that is.  Receiving an REI
gift certificate is one of  their happiest moments.

Yes, the old Moronic Hiking Disorder  syndrome.  Well known and the scourge
of the hiking community.

Sincerely, Dr. Switchback
"If people persist in  trespassing upon the grizzlies' territory, we must
accept that the grizzlies,  from time to time, will harvest a few trespassers."
--- Edward  Abbey

48)