[pct-l] Getting close to nature

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Feb 9 17:07:16 CST 2008

It's amazing how animals can have such a calming effect on man.
Being somewhat irritable the last few days while recovering from
Arthroscopic knee surgery  Monday, I took solace in the company of my
miniature dachshund Mitzy.
Her love and loyalty have a calming effect on me.

Then the other day I noticed a hummingbird had made its nest just
outside my bedroom window, containing two eggs.
The hummingbird was coming and going continuously.....in the nest 3-4
minutes ....gone for 3-4 minutes etc.....hummingbirds are so hyper and
have such high metabolism that they need to eat almost constantly,
except at night when their metabolism and heart beat slows down
dramatically.
I got very excited about all this and got my binoculars so I could zoom
in real close without making my presence known by standing to close by
the window.
Early this morning the first egg hatched and I watched the mother pull
the shell apart to help the chick out of the shell, then just a little
while ago the second egg hatched.
Witnessing the birth of two beautiful hummingbirds was a heart warming
experience.

Yes, Mitzy and the hummingbirds have a very calming effect on me.
I get a similar feeling watching wild life along the trail.

I think getting close to nature is good for us......it's good medicine.

JMT Reinhold