[pct-l] REI Gear Weights

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Feb 10 04:47:04 CST 2008

_Tortoise73_ (mailto:Tortoise73 at charter.net)  writes: Just got  an REI
catalogue. glancing thru it I noticed that very few of the items had  their weight
listed. Another sign that REI is loosing touch with  backpackers.  Even us
old-style "heavy weight" ones want to know how much  an item weighs before we
place an order.
Switchback replies: You could not be more right.  For years I  complain every
time I go into their stores about no scales.  I noticed at  the Santa Ana
store the FINALLY got a scale for weighing large items like packs,  etc.  But of
course, no small weight scale for ounces,  etc.

The fact they do not put the "REI Scale Weight" on ALL gear items is just  an
indicator of their sell, sell, sell philosophy.  It has been many years
since they were a real "co-op" of members --- scales, testing reports of gear
items, etc., etc.

But I still shop there because I get good selection, been a member for 40
years, and get gift cards to REI, so hardly anything costs me.  Heh, heh,  heh.
If you do your own extensive research, you can go into REI and  make
reasonable selections.  I certainly would not buy all my backpacking  gear at REI.

Good post, Tortoise.

"O may I go a-wandering
until the day I die.
O may I always laugh and  sing
beneath God’s clear blue sky."
–ANTONIA RIDGE and FREDERICK W.  MOLLER, The Happy Wanderer, 1810

48)