[pct-l] The Sierra resupply conundrum and random 2 cents worth advice

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 13:53:14 CST 2008

I just like using that word.

When i did the JMT with Emma 2 years ago, we had one
bear can for the two of us.  So for those 3 or so days
when we had more food than would fit in the can, we
stuffed the most likely to be smelly items into the
bear can, and put the others inside 2 garbage bags, a
stuff sack,  and slept with it inside our sleeping
bags, at least 50 yards off the trail, 2 miles from
where we had dinner,  and not near water.  So...

when planning my PCT for this year, i figured i would
go straight through from KM to Mammoth and use the
same method.  Perhaps things have gotten so bear-bad
that this isn't viable anymore?

Thanks Monty for the bear box list.

If you do send to VVR, consider using a bucket.  We
used a box, and a mouse chewed through it and got into
our food.

If you send to MTR, be sure they're OPEN.  If it's a
high snow year, i was under the impression they
wouldn't be operational in mid June when many of us
will be coming through.

And our experience with all kinds of herbal repellants
including the lemon stuff is that they flat-out don't
work.  Deet rules.  If it doesn't give you cancer,
eventually something else will anyway.  (Sorry if
that's insenstive or morbid.)