[pct-l] Shuttle to Mammoth Lakes, resupply at Muir vs. VVR

Mann bmann1 at san.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 14:13:41 CST 2008

Regarding the shuttle system at Mammoth Lakes:  The shuttle between Red's
meadow and the ski area runs regularly, as mentioned in a previous post.
Last summer we were able to hitch from the ski area to town easily.  We
couldn't get a hitch back up the mountain, though.  So we ended up taking
the town shuttle (yes, it does run during the summer), which would only take
us as far as the new shopping area where Main St turns off on Minaret toward
the ski area.  There is a bus that runs from there to the ski area, carrying
mountain bikers and their bikes back up the mountain, that will give rides
to hikers when they have room.  They were very nice.

Regarding resupply options in the Sierras: These mountains are gorgeous, and
you don't want to be miserable as you hike through them carrying too much
food weight, trying to put in lots of miles so your food lasts, and
stressing about bear boxes.  We know people who burned out and got off the
trail after doing this.  As Yogi says, don't expect to make the same miles
in the Sierras that you have until that point, due to the rocky tread and
the significant elevation changes.  Slow down, don't push yourself too hard,
and enjoy the scenery.  I would advise a re-supply at Independence by hiking
out over Kearsarge, or at least at Muir Trail Ranch, which is quite
accommodating. If you're really lucky, you've got hiker buddies in
California who will hike food in to you over Kearsarge.

Sandy Mann (Frodo)