[pct-l] Trekking pole Tips? Different use??

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 18:40:00 CST 2008

I often put my weight on a trekking poles when I use them.  I hike in steep rocky areas.  When the tips are angling 50-60 degrees to the rocks under them and they slide off, I like to replace them.  Just a safety thing.  Personal preference and unique to how I use my trekking poles.

Hiking with dull tips for me would be like trying to cut a ripe tomato with a dull knife, only maybe the mess would be blood instead of tomato juice.  :0)

Today I hiked with a lady who has more experience than me in a lot of areas.  She was using a trekking pole as a hiking stick.  The tip was gone.

I've seen a lot of them with rounded metal tips from probably thousands of miles of use.  That person hikes a lot.

If I use my tips a lot before the Sierras, the dessert litterally "sands" them down.

I think I'll consider the option of having some sent to Kennedy Meadows.

Warner Springs Monty