[pct-l] resupply Muir v. VVR

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 13:26:35 CST 2008

Radar makes an excellent point about timing.

Will the Sierra snow levels delay the opening of the more isolated traditional re-supply points (Muir Trail Ranch, Vermillion Valley Resort, Red's Meadow)? It's far too soon to tell, but whoever is mailing out your re-supply packages should keep checking on their status as the shipping date nears. Personally, I'm planning to go out to Independence, or at least down to the Onion Valley Pack Station, for a re-supply.

FYI, It is a long, winding, up-hill climb out of Red's Meadow to the Mammoth Mtn ski area if the shuttle isn't running. As I  recall, there are no shoulders on that road either; really dangerous if vehicle traffic is present due to blind curves and the narrow road width. You can avoid most of the road walk by taking the PCT up to Agnew Meadows campground (you have to go there anyway unless you're taking the JMT route) and then out the 1/4 mile spur road to the main road.

I've stayed in Mammoth Lakes and agree with prior comments regarding the hotel costs and quality of the restaurants. That said, it is a full-service town, close to the trail, and has bus transportation to Reno, Tuolumne Meadows, and highway 395 readily available.

Wandering Bob