[pct-l] Adding Weight to Pack for Training

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 16:09:10 CST 2008

Phone books are my pack weight of choice.  If you live in a town of
200 that may not be a good option, but I'm a city-dweller so no
problem.  I load up 30 pounds (can fine tune with water bottles if you
want) and walk a five mile loop around the neighborhood three times a
week in order to maintain a certain level of fitness.  Several weeks
before hiking I increase the length to 10 miles.  All of it relatively
flat, but it works for me.  Sore after a few days of real hiking, but
no cardio issues.

All of this is on concrete as well.  Care must be taken, but it can be
done with minimal damage.  I wear a well-cushioned walking shoe, one
of those with the gel pads in them, the Dr. Scholl's 'Caprice V'.  I
buy a bunch at Big 5 for $28/pair, all in, and discard them every
three months or so, as they flatten out.  Recently I've found my heel
skin to be cracking around the sides, apparently from the stress.
Applying some intensive care lotion seems to have brought them back
into line after a few weeks.

I'm on the light side so that may help with the walking on concrete.
If you're 6'4" and 225 your results may differ.