[pct-l] Nervous About My Thru!

Craig Stanton craigstanton at mac.com
Thu Feb 14 18:15:54 CST 2008

Philip,

   Don't stress. It's not as big as you think. Last year I went across the Pacific Ocean to do the PCT. When I was 23 I did a walk in Europe, 10 days with huts every night and a very easy path. Apart from that I'd done just one hike with more than one night in a tent.I still try to put myself in the mind-set I had when I stood at the border looking north. I don't know if it was the money I'd paid for the air ticket or the adrenalin making me crazy but something wiped out the nerves and I just started walking, what else could I do? Going home incomplete wasn't an option.  I was surprised how naturally it all came to me and all too soon I was in Canada amazed how far my little feet had carried me.

You're in the same country with people you can call on and the locals understand your accent, probably. And you've done some major walking before. Focus on the fact that this is quite possibly going to be the greatest summer of your life so far, and start thinking about how you're going to top it next year :-)

~Craig