[pct-l] WILD ANIMAL WARNING

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Feb 14 18:33:00 CST 2008

T o all those who hike the PCT in fear of Mt. Lions, bears or other
beasts of prey and carry pepper spray, bells and whistles and other
devises as a defense against those beasts of prey, I would strongly
recommend you read the following warning.

W  A  R  N  I  N  G

Due to rising frequency of human encounters with wild life the Ministry
of Fish and wild life is advising hikers, hunters and fishermen to take
extra precaution while in the bush.
We advise the outdorsman to wear little noisy bells to give advance warning.
We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry ''Pepper Spray''
in case of an encounter.
Outdorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh lion activity and be
able to tell the difference between lion cub shit and big lion shit.
Lion cub shit is smaller and contains lots of berries and dassie fur.
Big lion shit has bells in it, and smells like pepper

Ministry of Fish and Wildlife
Mozambique

Seems to me, I read somewhere, that besides little bells and Pepper
Spray even whistles, trekking poles, hand free umbrellas, reflector tape
and  battery powered fans have been found in big bear droppings along
the PCT.
It appears bears seek out hikers with those above gizmos.......that is
why I don't carry any off those things.

H I K E    O N,.....and remember for every bear dropping containing the
above items there is one happy well fed bear.

JMT Reinhold
The gizmo free hiker