[pct-l] bear canisters

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Fri Feb 15 15:38:50 CST 2008

"To fit more food in my cannister I take all my food out of it's original
wrappers and repackage it in Plastic Produce Bags (those bags you put your
veges in in every produce section)."

Yup, I've read through Tom Reynolds treatise on this,
http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/health/canistercare.doc

And I'll do some of those things!  <g>

Seriously, one thing this might change for me is how much food I buy locally
vs. mail to myself at Independence and Tuolumne meadows.  It seems a little
crazy in a way to mail much to myself at Independence, but I've got more
flexibility at home to prepare high caloric food that packs small. Still, as
you point out --- a lot can be done on-site.   The particular things I might
mail would include dried chicken so I don't have to buy a can or heavier
foil pouch, a 9 oz tube of peanut butter so I'm not buying an 18 oz jar.
And maybe a couple extra ziplocks to help repackage stuff that doesn't go
comfortably in a produce bag.

Thanks, Monty.

            Brian Lewis