[pct-l] Pack Waterproofing

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 17 21:47:51 CST 2008

over several hikes we have used:
Garbage bags as pack covers - they tend to rip on tree branches
commercial pack cover - water soaked in between my back and the pack; wasn't
effective for me
poncho - eventually things get wet under a poncho
trash compactor bags - seem to be the best thing we've tried.
XXL Ziplock bags - saw them. Thought the zipper might come open eventually.

We use ponchos over us and the backpack. It serves as a first line of
defense. Our sleeping bags get stuffed into compactor bags first thing in
the morning & come out at night. We also put our clothes in gallon ziplocks.
These ziplocks get changed out every few weeks with new ones. Since we mail
each days food  in a gallon ziplock we tend to have them around. The
ziplocks also make good garbage bags.

Our bottom line is if you want to keep something dry put IT in a reliably
dry bag. Packs eventually get soaked somewhere along the line.

YMMV
Ken