[pct-l] Grommets in Tyvek?

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Feb 18 15:45:10 CST 2008

Good afternoon, Handlebar,

Hi-Tech:  Sew on a square of nylon webbing and set a grommet in the middle.

Med-Tech:  Sew on a square of nylon webbing and melt a hole in the center
with a red-hot nail.

Lo-Tech:  Pick up a pebble about the size of a green pea, lay it the corner
of the sheet, fold the point of the corner about 1.5" of over the pebble,
and cinch a
slip-knot of your cord tightly just behind the lump,

I've used Lo-Tech on many different kinds of material, from plastic film to
canvas.  It can work in the
middle of a side in addition to a corner, but the sheet ends up a little
slack and wrinkly.

I have Med-Tech grommets all around my shelter tarps.  If you think the
grommet webbing may pull apart the Tyvek, just make the webbing
bigger/longer.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Join other hikers at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^