[pct-l] Denatured alcohol, ethanol vs. methanol

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Mon Feb 18 17:24:21 CST 2008

yes, you will get soot and a yellow flame.  Isopropyl alcohol is going
to burn dirty, yellow flame, lots of soot.  That's a given.

But if you mix it 50/50 with denatured ethanol, you may get a clean
burn.  Tinny at MBD was getting a clean burn with this mixture.  If so,
then you'd have a fuel that would have slightly more heat output than
denatured ethanol (mainly because denatured ethanol is up to 50 percent
methanol which has considerably fewer btu's per pound than ethanol or
isopropyl alcohol).

Greg