[pct-l] choosing bug shelter

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Sun Feb 24 16:01:34 CST 2008

“I like the bivy concept.  However, I wonder whether it would limit the
temperature range you would be comfortable in.”

This is one of two reasons I stopped using a Bivy --- I now use a tarptent.
Fairly warm nights when bugs are out, it’s too warm to be inside, and too
buggy to not crawl in.  I would sometimes lay on top of my sleeping bag
inside the bivy, but even that got too warm sometimes.

The other reason is that I sometimes got condensation inside the bivy on my
bag, even on nights that weren’t particularly humid (and no rain).   With a
down bag, the last thing I want is to collect moisture that way.

I guess the third reason is that it’s pretty limiting in that you have to
unzip to access most gear, which lets bugs in; I like the small footprint of
a bivy, but the tarptent is a whole lot more comfortable experience, and as
Jerry pointed out, there’s not a big weight difference when you’re comparing
to an equivalently weather-resistant bivy.

	Brian Lewis