[pct-l] hiking with a little dog

Sandi bowed1heart at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 23:59:59 CST 2008

I have a big dog.  She's shepherd/blue heeler.  She has a backpack for her food and water, a doggie sleep pad, doggie boots....and she will have those sunglasses that someone sent the link for.  I am a cat person...but Two Face wormed her way in and as someone on the Women's Hiker list said...."Hike Your Dog's Hike".  Good way to put it!

jeff.singewald at comcast.net wrote:    With all this talk about Gail's (Wheew) plan to bring her dog, I am surprised she hasn't spoken up.  For those of you that haven't read her journal, note that she actually has a carry sling for the pooch and will likely carry the dog for much of the hike.  It appears from pictures that the pooch can cuddle up in the sling protected from those nasty rays.

  Additionally, if I recall correctly, she has already made plans with several trail angels to dog-sit while she makes her way through the Sierra as she is well aware that dogs are not allowed in the National Parks.

  I think Gail knows fully well, what she and her pooch are getting into.  She is an AT vet and knows what life on the trail is like.  From the sounds of it, if the system is not working out, she will adjust her hike so that she can do what she feels is best for the pooch.

  By the way, since Andrea mentioned it, does anybody have any records of how many dogs have died along the PCT, because their owners didn't know what was best for the dog?  I know of several reports of dogs coming through the desert with detached pads and such, but fortunately haven't heard of any that have succommed.  Well, with the exception of the one that Scott mentioned he spiced up his Ramen with.