[pct-l] Hikers and their dogs

Steve Scoles steve at whidbey.com
Mon Feb 25 10:31:10 CST 2008

My experience with dogs on the PCT and other trails, over 40+ years, has been more negative than positive.  It is not one problem dog or owner out of 50, it is more like one out of three.  Last summer a great short trip was just about ruined for my friends and I when a German Shepherd invaded our camp and would not go away.  The dog was after our food, peed on our tent and gear, and jumped all over us.  We spent an hour yelling up and down the PCT trying to locate the owner.  Finally the owner appeared and was completely oblivious to our complaints.  Dog owners like this are unconscious that their wonderful pooch is something that everyone should just love and accept like they do.
Please leave your dogs at home.  If you must bring Fido, then obey the leash laws and understand that you may be the only person on the trail who loves your dog.  And just because you think that doggie is having as good a time hiking 2650 miles as you are, does not make it necessarily so.
Thank You!

--Coyote Steve