[pct-l] hiking with a little dog

G. Lowe aka Wheeew gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 11:52:54 CST 2008

Rena,

I honestly wasn't upset about your post, except for a couple things.  As has been mentioned, you could have easily written me privately and not set off this raging inferno.  Since you're obviously reading my journal you could have even signed my guest book and I would have responded to you, as I do to all who sign.  Also, you obviously hadn't read many of my posts to the list about this topic or you would have known that many of your concerns were dealt with......in short, you didn't do your homework.

The more important reason is this:  When someone (me) starts out an entry on a TJ site (mine) by admitting, "I made a bad, bad, mistake" and does so humbly, grateful to be alive,  and with the hopes of helping others by fessing up, I think it is EXTREMELY BAD FORM to then post to the pct-l stating, "However after reading her last post about her hike on Mt. Whitney, it appears she doesn't always plan ahead that well"......For that, I say, shame on you!!

Someone taught me long ago, that "it's only a mistake if you don't learn anything from it".  "If you learn something, then it wasn't a mistake, it was a LESSON and a GIFT, and was very necessary".  THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT CONCEPT!!!!  And I hope you'll take it to heart.  I wouldn't trade that hike on Mt. Whitney for all the money in the world, and you will NOT shame me by using my own words against me!!!  I learned lessons on Whitney, as I do on all my hikes and as I hope to learn on the PCT.  Life is about lessons if nothing else.......

I sent out a "test" message a while back on the pct-l.....just to see the response.  I asked for readers to offer to help with Ori during my hike, since there was so much concern for his welfare.   You guessed it.   I got ONE response....one glorious, generous, heartfelt offer from someone willing to keep him while I hike the Sierras.  And there's no doubt she'll be the best possible "step-Mom" to him, that I could hope for.

It's kinda like what Whoopie Goldberg said when a lot of folks were giving her crap for marrying a white man.  "Well, the brotha's weren't callin, so what the hell???!!"

If you're not willing to offer REAL help, feigned help doesn't do me a whole lot of good.

Wheeew and Ori (no trail name yet)

PS.  Please give your son my heartfelt congratulations on his successful thru hike!

Rena Johnston <renajf at gmail.com> wrote: Wow, actually I was referring to one of your entries Jeff about crossing the Kings River when I was talking about how cold and swift the water was. I know from experience how hard it is for a little dog to get back his body heat (harder than a human), and I am only concerned, does a Vet in Michigan have any idea of what the PCT is like? I realize she has come up with a carrier for him, I was just pointing out some of the obstacles I feel could cause problems for them both (losing her footing because of being off balance from both packs). I acknowledged that I was sure she had much more experience than me, and had probably thought things out, but I was only trying to bring up some concerns. And I have read her journal, and did not see anything suggesting she had made plans with anyone to help in areas that he wouldn't be allowed, glad to know that and forgive me for being concerned. However after reading her last post about her hike of
 Mt. Whitney, it appears she doesn't always plan ahead that well, and I am glad to know she is okay from it and I am sure learned a great deal from it. Her response makes me feel sad, apparently mine and robohiker's concerns were an annoyance. I was not trying to annoy her, I have been worried about these things and wanted to put them out there. So after the response I received, I'll just wish them the best and not worry. I am amazed at the way people on this site get so upset with people who don't agree with them 100%, or try to help with bringing up a different perspective. It really feels like many aren't that open minded as they want people to think they are.

-Wheeew-
www.trailjournals.com/wheeew/
---->MexiCan----> 2008