[pct-l] ankle

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Mon Feb 25 16:18:10 CST 2008

Hi Andrew,

I've had similar strains/sprains that have resulted from doing too much
too soon (hiking or running).  For me the best remedy is REST.  If it
hurts while you're doing an activity, don't do it.  The pain is your
signal to stop and let the body do what it does so well--heal itself.
So my advice would be to pay attention to how it's feeling.  Do only
those activities that do not cause pain.  Right now if it hurts when you
walk, then I'd advise doing as little walking as possible.  It might
take a week of no/low activity, but after a week or so, the pain will be
gone.  Then ease back into activity gradually, paying close attention to
the area that's painful now, and be careful not to overdo.  Check in
with how it's feeling during exercise and also after, like the next day.

Anti-inflammatories might help, but I wouldn't use them to mask pain so
you can continue exercising.  Pain is there for a reason, think of it as
your friend, it's tell you exactly what to do (or not do), so your body
can heal in the fastest possible time.

Also, I've had good results with DMSO, but again not to mask pain while
exercising, but to reduce inflammation which may accelerate the healing
process.

Greg