[pct-l] Gossamer Gear "The One"

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 05:42:57 CST 2008

I punctured my Lunar Solo in 05, at that pole peak  point, trying to set it
up at dusk during a very strong wind. I repaired  the hole with seam sealer at
the next town; after that section hike I found  the lightest, shortest bolt I
could, and screwed it through that tab  grommet. The bolt drops into the
opening in the end of my 5-oz, hiking/tent pole  (LuxuryLite), making that pole
peak point extremely secure and my whole tent  setup easier.
    Re the Lunar Solo:
1. My biggest complaint about the Lunar Solo; it's difficult to set up in a
strong wind by one's self.
2.My second biggest complaint is that it's difficult for me to get it tight
enough to be quiet during a strong wind.
3. I've thought about trying a Tarp Tent, but stick with the L S, because
nothing else is lighter really; in practice: in 05 Border to Agua Dulce I  only
put it up 3-5 times, for wind not rain; in 07 A D to Donner I used it about
the same 3-5 times, twice for rains that lasted 10 minutes, and three times for
 mosquitos. I'm guessing I'll have to use it a whole lot more in 08 D P to
McKenzie Pass for both rain and mosquitos.
4. Yes I know a tarp is lighter, but everything has to be perfect to  protect
gear against rain; they can require two poles, but I only carry the  one,
5-ounce pole for my L S, stream crossings, and emergencies - not  walking.
5. On the good side, I like the space inside and the fact that my pack  is
totally inside, not at my feet where it's hard to get at, but at my side. I
like the side entrance, the large vestibule when needed (I've dried many  socks &
skivs on sticks or good grass under that vestibule, and the  larger view.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See, if  it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.'
-- Harry Browne

"If you think  health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs
when its free."
-- P. J. ORourke

In a message dated 2/25/2008 8:58:47 P.M. Central Standard Time,