[pct-l] Time for the Annual "Why I Boycott the ADZ" Message

Jim Keener lists at oldmanwalking.net
Tue Feb 26 14:06:10 CST 2008

Dear Donna,

I do not buy this premise. It infers that the herd is caused by ADZ.
While ADZ probably exacerbates the problem, the kickoff is based on
expected hiker start time, rather than hiker start time being based on
the kickoff. There are, of course, exceptions.

AT hikers start hiking in almost every month of the calendar and there
is a considerably higher percentage of SOBOs on the AT, than the PCT.
So having a starting event in Georgia makes no sense on the AT. The
start window for the PCT, however, is fairly narrow. And an
overwhelming number of hikers are NOBO. A start event makes sense for
a number of reasons, primarily in ease of access for all hikers.

I am going to start hiking earlier than the kickoff in order to miss
the crowds early on in my hike. Not for LNT reasons (hangs head), but
that's what I prefer. Others will begin some time after the kickoff. I
have been re-reading Suge's 2003 journal, and he started in May, but
attended the kickoff earlier. Point: scheduling an event at Lake
Morena does not dictate hike start time. It influences it, most
likely, but people will start based on their own styles and wishes.

I started to write that it is unlikely that the kickoff will change.
But I don't know if that's true. I hope it does not change too much.
Even if the kickoff were to go away, there would be a herd. The nature
of conditions in the west create it, not the kickoff.

With great respect and affection,
Jim Keener ( J J )
http://oldmanwalking.net