[pct-l] Dealing with snow

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Feb 26 16:01:05 CST 2008

I didn't carry an ice ax at the beginning of my 05 SOBO trip to
self-arrest.  I didn't want to get that far.  I used to to self-belay.
When I started across a steep snowfield I set the handle of the ice ax
deeply in the snow before moving.  I grasped the tee of the ax and made
sure the strap was tight around my wrist.  Once I took a step and made
sure I was secure, I then removed the ax and planted the handle again.

I only fell once using this technique, just before the end of a
snowfield when I moved too quickly.  The self-belay worked perfectly.

This technique works, but I recommend it only if you really don't have
any intention of using the ice ax to self-arrest.  Also, I never tried
it on hardpacked, early morning, north facing snow.  It wouldn't have
worked.

Since then I started carrying hiking poles.  You can to the same thing
with a pole if you take off the basket.  Shorten the pole to its minimum
and make sure  you've buried it almost to the handle.

Jeff, just Jeff...