[pct-l] Time for the Annual "Why I Boycott the ADZ" Message

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 23:43:47 CST 2008

In a message dated 2/27/2008 12:30:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dsaufley at sprynet.com writes:

The overall number of  hikers has not increased significantly in the past few
years. However, the  number of hikers showing up has increased exponentially –
 55, 60, 65 at the  peak here over the past three years.  Sly, this isn’t
2000 any more .  .

-------------------------------------

I know it's not 2000 any more and that's part of my point.  Rather  than 100
hikers you have 300 starting.  The optimum time for starting  hasn't changed
but the number of hikers has.

If you look at the databook or postholer, the Sierra entry day is  always
sometime in June.  Slower hikers will pick some date in April to get  to KM on
that day, average hikers towards the end of the month and  faster hikers later
in May.  Many of their paths will cross along the  way.  When should I start?
When should anyone start?  The only  way I can think of lessening your burden
would be to skip Hiker Heaven.  I  don't want to do that but I will if you
think it's best.

Sly

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)