[pct-l] A potential member of the ADZ heard

Laura Fox laura.fox at yale.edu
Wed Feb 27 11:46:09 CST 2008

This "herd" discussion is interesting to me as I'm trying to figure
out my start date.  It would be difficult for me to start before the
ADZ and get a ride back to it (the earlier I start, the more of a
pain it will be for me to deal with, for non-hiking-life reasons).
It would be easy enough for me to start after the ADZ, sometime in
the first couple weeks of May, but that would mean I couldn't attend
the ADZ at all (I live on the east coast, and don't have the $$ to
fly out there and back here for the ADZ and then out again to
start ... I also can't attend Trail Fest for that reason).

I would be interested in going to the ADZ for the fun, camaraderie,
etc., but also because I thought I was going to have a hiking partner
for the whole trail, but that fell through, and not being a super
solitary person I'd like to meet (and potentially hike with) other
people (some other people ... not 100s of other people!).  I had been
planning to go to the ADZ and start then, but this talk of the "herd"
and LNT implications has given me pause.  I hiked the AT in '01 (with
a partner) and started on February 24th, which was well ahead of the
AT herd, so I'm not sure what it's like to hike with a giant clump of
people.  I think maybe I'd be better off starting a bit later to help
spread things out, but then I'd miss the fun and people-meeting
opportunity of the ADZ.

Anyway, not sure what my point is.  What should I do??  :)