[pct-l] A potential member of the ADZ heard

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Feb 27 12:07:31 CST 2008

Laura,

You've hit the nail on the head so perfectly.  This is exactly why the ADZ
causes a herd. Your situation is repeated with almost all of those who
attend the event -- the ADZ forces people to start at a specific window if
they want to go to it, for whatever reason (finding a partner, getting over
jitters, buying new gear, free food, or the drink fest that inevitably
occurs).

Naturally, people would make other choices for starting dates if the ADZ
didn't exist. Somehow they all managed before . . .

As to the partner/safety in numbers thing, I've been toying with the idea
that there should be a website where thru-hike hopefuls could post their
start dates, so you could see when folks were starting in advance, and if
you choose start when other hikers would be out there too or chose to avoid
them. I just know from my poor track record at maintaining my own site that
I'm not the right person to do this.

Best of luck in your decision.  Please know, and spread the word, that Hiker
Heaven is not near capacity yet and we want you ALL to stay with us,
regardless of when or why you started your hike.

L-Rod