[pct-l] Time for the Annual "Why I Boycott the ADZ" Message

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Wed Feb 27 12:21:46 CST 2008

I'll try to use AT Trail Days as an example.  It's held the week after
Mothers Day and is 450 miles from the start or about 6 weeks hiking on that  trail.
 Take a guess what, traditionally was/is the biggest starting  day is?  April
1st.  It's not because of Trail Days.  The Trail  Days date was choosen
because that's when most hikers arrived at Damascus.   Of course, as the number of
starters grew, people wanted to spread out, so now  they start earlier and
earlier and get back to Trail Days.  Now, there's  not one huge herd but several
with most hikers starting on or around 3/1, 3/17  and 3/21 along with 4/1.
Each of these "herds" is about the same size of  the PCT herd.

Now  say  the KO was moved to Wrightwood  or Kennedy Meadows  or wherever.
In order for it to be successful, you'd need to pick a date  when most of the
hikers would be arriving.  This date would be an average  from when most people
start the trail.  That date would be towards the last  weekend of April if
only not to arrive in the Sierras too soon.  Back to  square one.

Even with quotas, of say 10-15 per day leaving Campo spread out over a 30
day period, the herd would still bunch up in towns.  The towns, PO, stores,
hostels, motels on the AT deal with 1000's of hikers, packages,  requests.
Certainly the west coast should be able to deal with 300.

Sly

In a message dated 2/27/2008 12:54:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,