[pct-l] PCT usage quotas

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 13:16:35 CST 2008

Reworking the permit systems in Wilderness areas and National Parks as
an ad hoc defense against increasing users numbers along the Pacific
Crest National Scenic Trail would be out of line with the trail's intent
as a linear, continuous recreational resource, a single entity with
clear purpose. Penalizing long-distance hikers would seem especially
perverse, given that we're greatly outnumbered by other users in a
majority of these areas. The seasonal Herd phenomenon along the PCT  in
southern California would seem to be a separate issue that has little to
do with talk of quotas or aggressive permitting procedures. Unless, of
course, we want to turn long-distance hiking on our NST's into the
equivalent of airline travel, with advanced reservations required and
specific seating arrangements, departure and arrival times stamped
clearly on our boarding passes.

- blisterfree