[pct-l] How cold starting Section D early April?

RICHARD OSTHEIMER rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 27 22:40:24 CST 2008

In an effort to lighten my load, I've been casting a critical eye at my gear, mostly focusing on clothing.  I'm starting sobo from Walker Pass about April 4th and am not familiar with weather.  I'm concerned about hypothermia if there's and extended period of cold, all-day rains as I'm thinking of leaving the rain jacket in my bounce bucket or at home.

Here's what I plan to wear/take:

Wear:  Sportkilt, Railriders eco-mesh shirt, Smartwool hikers sox, a bandana, a brimmed Tilley Hat, low gaiters, and my boots.  Yeah!, I know they're heavy, but they fit so well and I never had foot problems on the AT, and, if I need to, I can kick steps all day.  If it's chilly, windy, or rainy, I can bust out my Marmot Dri-clime Windshirt from the pack (anyone know why they call this jacket a shirt?).   I'll keep it handy to put on during breaks too.  During winter backpacks with temps in 20's here in Ohio, I've been comfortable hiking in the Windshirt over a Smartwool Tshirt.

In the pack: Two other pairs of Smartwool sox to rotate, Smartwool T-shirt as possible hiking base layer, Smartwool light weight top and bottom and fleece toque for sleep/campwear, and Montbell thermawrap u.l. jacket and fleece gloves, also for camp wear .  This what I actually used on the winter backpacks here in the east (one day it got down to about +15 F).

Here's what I ruled out and why:

Marmot Precip rain jacket.  Though this is supposedly "breathable", I found I got wetter from sweat wearing this in the rain on the AT and usually just wore my Smartwool (warm when wet wool) T-shirt during rain.   The jacket did come in handy in Maine in late September during a cold, all-day rain and in March during freezing rain on a GA mountaintop.  I also wore this and my rainpants a couple of times while washing everything else.   (I'll have this sent to me at Cascade Locks.)

Rain pants.  Carried them all the way on the AT and only wore twice, once in March during freezing rain after getting into camp and again while stopped for lunch in the cold, all-day rain in Maine.

Sleeping Bag silk liner.  Figure if I have the sleep clothes why do I need this?  My bag is +15F 850 fill down, and I'm carrying a Tarptent Rainbow.

Anyone with some advice on this?

Handlebar