[pct-l] Let's Hear From The 2007 Thru Hikers...

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Thu Feb 28 13:47:30 CST 2008

Yes, definitely an intentional "set up"! (such a perceptive guy...)

And as I suspected, "The Herd", as close to Morena as Rodriguez Water Tank, is as big as a Boy Scout Troop...

And just a little further up it dwindles to less.

Just read Donna's last post.

Donna- I think the reason this subject gets as much attention as bear cans, dogs, guns... is that there is this suggestion that the ADZPCTKO is somehow detrimental to The Trail itself. I think you distilled it down to LNT issues at campsites yesterday, and then switched to quotas and trail town impacts and it's affects of Hikers themselves.

>From what Monty witnessed, it's OFF trail that is most affected by a "Herd". Mt Laguna probably gets the fullest brunt of a long string of hikers, but from what I've heard and read, the General Store is more than happy to serve them! Warner Springs is next, but isn't Warner Springs essentially a resort town that caters to visitors? After that it's Idyllwild and Big Bear that probably doesn't even notice an additional couple hundred "tourists" on the streets.

Donna's primary concern for hikers is commendable, but if she had her wish granted and ADZPCTKO was discontinued, would quotas not still be a threat? Would not trail towns still see a surge in visitors who clean out their store shelves and swamp their post offices? And after all, it's the Hikers themselves that will "vote with their feet" (I've been waiting SO long to use that cliché!) and attend ADZPCTKO or not.

In any case, ADZPCTKO will continue. It's grown a lot since I first attended just a few years ago. Those who decide to avoid, boycott or oppose it may or may not be missed, but it will continue nonetheless. With folks like Scott and Andy getting attention from the mainstream media, I suspect awareness of our Long Trails will grow and more people will dream and plan through and section hikes on them.

I think I read an interesting quote recently- "growth without planning is called cancer" (or something like that). Planning takes organization. I think ADZPCTKO is one of only two organizations that are specifically concerned with the PCT. It certainly is more visible, accessible or interactive with the majority of those who actually USE the Trail than the PCTA.

Hey Monte- I sent you an e-mail regarding the wind farm and I got it bounced back. I'll resend (it had some photos attached), but to answer your question- no. I have no contact info.

Sorry.

Michael Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE & Partners, Inc. | Architecture + Planning + Interiors
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T 949.809.3388 | www.mve-architects.com <http://www.mve-architects.com/>

  <http://www.mve-architects.com/>