[pct-l] The ADZ CONTROVERSY AS IT APPEARS TO AN OUTSIDER

Judith G twolegs at roadrunner.com
Fri Feb 29 18:09:41 CST 2008

> The numbers on the PCT are NOT going to decline.  I suggest y'all
> (including the postmistress in Warner Springs) get used to it and
> try to learn how to deal with it and bring the trail
> "infrastructure" up to speed, rather than fight it.     Sly

This reminds me, I learned (and I think it was from Donna) that one
of the reasons the post office in Warner Springs was so overwhelmed
last year is because hikers (enough of them to have an impact) have
more than one package sent there.  One hiker had seven packages sent
to Warner Springs, according to my source, who heard it from the W.S.
postmistress.  Perhaps hiker consciousness could be raised a bit, and
they could be encouraged to utilize low-impact techniques in town
too.  A well organized hiker ought to be able to make do with one
resupply box, although a few might be having a shoe or equipment
exchange after the first 100 miles.  I have also seen a few
incredibly huge, heavy bounce boxes that post office personnel have
to lift and lug around.  This might be necessary in some cases, but I
wonder if these hikers wouldn't be happier traveling in an RV where
they don't have to leave anything home.

Two Legs