[pct-l] The ADZ CONTOVERSY AS IT APPEARS TO AN OUTSIDER

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Feb 29 22:13:22 CST 2008

Yup, I have hiked some of it, and hope to do some more this summer with my
family back east.  Jeff’s father’s side is from the Shennandoah Valley,
where they settled in 1747.  His grandfather used to herd his cattle over
Brown’s Gap.  We’ve only dayhiked though, both north and south from above
Waynesboro, the point where the Blue Ridge Highway and Skyline Drive meet.

This coming summer we’re headed to the AT further north, in New Hampshire.
As a side note, I’m very proud of my four year old great-nephew who hiked
all the way up Mt. Washington on his own steam (because there was a train
ride at the top).

So, I don’t know the AT from a thru-hiker’s perspective, only what Bryson
wrote and what a large percentage of 2,000 hikers have told me.

No one is asking for the number of hikers to decline . . . just for having
so many of them bunch up at once.  And we’ll adapt – we’ll simply say,
“sorry, we’re full, too bad.”

L-Rod

   _____