[pct-l] WHAT I THINK ABOUT THE KICK OFF!!!

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 29 22:21:20 CST 2008

I have listened to about every point of view imaginable, and have had an opinion of this issue for quite some time. To begin with, I love attending the KO, and look forward to seeing all of my friends who attend.

Last year I started in late May and finished in early Aug., therefore I saw the herd from the back, middle and front. All my fellow Thru-Hikers were nice and well mannered, from my point of view. But, the herd was far too bunched up. In a 100 mile stretch, [2 1/2] days I met 129 Thu-Hikers. I like a good conversation while hiking, mostly cause I basically hike solo, but for some hikers, it was ruining their wilderness experience.

Now it was a Fact that the majority of those hikers started on the weekend of KO. But it is also MY observation that a lot of hikers tend to hike in small groups and regroup in Southern California towns AND Trail Angels homes. In fact that is where I have always seen the largest groups. So I believe the problem is a lot deeper than the KO. I also believe that a lot of Hikers in general would find a place to group up, and create a herd no matter when they departed. It is up to the PCT community to frown on herding up, and make it known that it is making the PCT a sour experience, for others.

Most people attending the KO are not hiking at that moment. It is a great time and place to bring back those memories and share them with your friends, and is surely the place that has more previous PCT Thru-Hikers, than any other gathering. It would be a shame to end the KO. But it is also a great place to express our codes and ethics first hand face to face. I believe this year will be another year of bunching up though, because of all the snow. Just my thoughts,,,tj