[pct-l] In defense of the thread herd

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 22:26:15 CST 2008

Sorry Alison, but i have to disagree with you on this
one.   I know the people who start and maintain this
thread about the herd, and they put their hearts and
souls into the quantity of posts.  It's easy to
criticize when you're on your butt just reading
threads, but just YOU try being the one to organize
and type out all these words.

Besides, before the current organized thread herd,
posts on PCT-L tended to peak at the same time of year
already.  All this thread has done is concentrate 300
useless post topics into one really useless topic of
300 posts.  That's not going to make any more damage
to the PCT-L than the old, random, spread-out thread
herds.  Really, eventually the whole internet is going
to be regulated anyway, so it doesn't matter.

If you think this thread herd is bad, just try
checking at Whiteblaze.net for the annual debate over,
uh, white-blazing.  Their thread herd makes our thread
herd seem tiny.  It may be however that their web
hosts, Ka-ching.org (they're such angels) have the
bandwidth to handle the surging influx of posts.

I guess the real reason why i'm in favor of all these
posts, is that this is my year to finally thru-post,
after years of only doing partial posts.  So i too
want the social experience of bonding with the rest of
the posters before i set out into the internet.
Besides, there's safety in number of posts.

Maybe as a comprimise, we could move the thread herd a
little earlier in the posting season, and then people
who wanted to post late could go back to the archives
and  still post on topic.

Or we could move the whole debate to another web list,
like Idyllwild-L at sarcasticcountry.net.

(pleeeeeese fellow-PCT lovers, don't let me down by
taking this post seriously)