[pct-l] water caches

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 1 01:22:56 CST 2008

 I am so confused and am having great trouble understanding this debate.  In my experience hikers are very nice people.  Yet I read here postings by people preferring to risk the well-being of their fellows by removing water caches for the sake of a very small patch of artificiality amid the wilderness (usually close to a road anyway, and there is nothing natural about that).  Others, seem to be saying "I made it through without water cashes, so everybody must do the same".  To these people, let me remind you, not all of us on the trail are young, strong and as fit as you.  Those of us who have desk jobs and who may be older, do not have your endurance or the free months to become one with the trail.  Section Hikers, Weekend Hikers, Retired Hikers may not be able to do thirty-mile days.  Water Caches in the dry regions or during a drought can be the difference between hiking a section or not.  Perhaps you feel that those who do not rise to your standards have no business
 being out there on the trail.  Well how comfortable you must be looking down on everyone else.  Get over it you guys.  The cashes do far more good than harm.  The real harm is in your attitude and elitism.

  To those who provide and maintain those cashes, I say thank you, thank you very much.    I think kindly on the good people who have gone out of there way to provide for others, they truly are angles.  Stumbling upon these cashes has always been a pleasant surprise to me.  When on day hikes, finding empty bottles or mostly empty bottles, and that I had more water than I needed, I have often added to the bottles with some of my own water.  I have felt good about myself for having done this, like I am giving back, helping out, if just a little.  How sad I am to realize that there are those out there who feel so very differently .   I guess that not all of us are out there for the beauty, the challenge or the love of nature.  Some of us may be out there to disguise the fact that they are lonely and they may be lonely because they are just plan selfish.  How sad.

  Amanda