[pct-l] water caches

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Jan 1 10:39:14 CST 2008

I have my personal opinion(s) regarding water caches on the PCT, however others have already stated it better than I could...
This has been a good (and much needed) 'discussion' (with the few exceptions, as 'usual') - there have been good points promoting both sides of the 'coin'...
I don't think there are any simple solutions to anything in our complex society anymore - "you can't please all the people all the time"...
But, perhaps it IS time for more serious thought, some compromise, and action regarding the large water caches placed directly on the PCT in SoCal...

My only suggestion to all those with any interest in this debate is to revisit the official establishment of the "Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail" within the National Trails System Act of 1968...  Have some of us forgotten that "scenic" should apply to as many miles of the PCT as we possibly can?
See <http://www.americantrails.org/resources/feds/FEDNatTrSysOverview.html> for starters - a fairly good overview...
I always remember the single sentence "Each (national scenic trail) should stand out in its own right as a recreation resource of superlative quality and of physical challenge." - that "quality" and "challenge" is what the PCT has always meant the most to me...

Clinton C. Clarke wrote in The Pacific Crest Trailway, see <http://pcttrailway.pctplanner.com/index.php>, "It is simply a "track worn through wilderness" or "a way through" for hardy adventurers who can enjoy the experience and benefits of a friendly struggle with Mother Nature."

I, too, have dreamed of hiking the entire PCT in a single season for many years...  I want and expect the "quality", the "challenge", and the "friendly struggle" to each be a major part of that experience - otherwise, why walk it?
No, the PCT isn't 100% wilderness, nor is it 100% "scenic" - it even isn't 100% "trail" (and probably never will be)...
I do not wish to deprive anyone of 'helping out' PCT hikers nor belittle someone's hard work in doing so, yet if the water caches were hidden off the PCT then the trail would be more "scenic" IMHO - and not seeing so many plastic jugs, empty or full (along with trash left by a few thoughtless hikers), couldn't offend those seeking a more "quality" experience...

Some simply say "So HYOH.  Don't use the water caches."
I don't intend or plan to use any of the water caches - yet I will have to walk right by them and see them, and if there is trash there, I would feel obligated to either pick or clean it up (wouldn't you?)...  With that in mind, would I really be hiking my own hike?

Don't let this discussion fade away too fast...  If nothing else maybe it will open some eyes of the '08 thrus to one of the recurring PCT 'issues' prior to their trek...  It does seem over the last few years that more and more thrus expect the water caches to be a reliable water source (even with all the numerous warnings otherwise) - thus it is no longer a form of 'magic'...  If a water cache was truly intended only for an 'emergency' supply, some caches shouldn't be nearly as large as they have become...

Happy new year to one and all...  and Happy trails!!!
Jim

"All paths lead nowhere, so it is important to choose a path that has heart."  - Carlos Castaneda