[pct-l] Water Caches

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 13:24:33 CST 2008

People like to make a big deal about these caches, as I can see from
the last fifty water cache messages on here. :P But really, who is it
hurting? If those empties are tied together then I don't see a
problem... and if they aren't tied together, the problem isn't the
water cache itself, it's the lack of organization.

If you don't like using water caches because it takes some perceived
(and I assure you, it's a value of perception) purity from your hike,
don't use them. If you think people are starting to count on them as a
sure-thing, well, they're going to learn that's not the case
eventually. On the other hand, plenty of people are using these to
make what would be an uncomfortable stretch into a comfortable
stretch, starting with enough water to get across (but thirsty)
without a cache and then using the cache as a luxury when they do come
across it. Why ruin it for these people, doing it right, just because
you're concerned about purity or less scrupulous hikers?

I say keep them how they are until someone in the park service says
otherwise. People will do what they will do and this situation will
sort itself out.