[pct-l] water caches and bear feedings and related musings

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Jan 2 12:01:46 CST 2008

Great post -- very interesting thoughts.

I would answer your question that yes, feeding the bears and placing caches
are similar in that they create dependent behavior. In all fairness, so does
providing a hiker hostel.  However, the similarities are limited. Feeding
bears and leaving caches both defy LNT principles, and are both impacting
our environment.  It's the ultimate consequences for each action that
differ.

The bear becomes habituated to people which often results in emboldened or
aggressive behavior, putting people at risk and ultimately leading to the
killing of the bear.

The consequence of water caches has led to lower attrition rates on
thru-hike attempts, thus higher numbers of hikers on trail (exceeding the
trail's capacity), hiker-generated trash and debris permeating the
environment in places, and a pile of stuff that some view as a welcome and
appreciated resource, and others see as a blight on the environment that
doesn't belong.

L-Rod