[pct-l] Water Caches

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Jan 2 12:38:15 CST 2008

You wrote the truth:  people will do what they will, and it will sort itself
out eventually.  Unfortunately, it may sort itself out in some form of
increased regulatory intervention.  It seems to be the practice of the USFS
to shut down entirely that which they cannot manage effectively.  My
observation down here in So Cal is that they are not remotely sympathetic or
supportive of the needs of thru-hikers.  They shut down miles of trail for a
two foot stream crossing where the Yellow Legged Frog lives. They’ve shut
down most of the well water sources that were once available.  When sobo
hikers have asked to go through the forest when they shut down during fire
season (with no active fires):  even though the hikers have walked over
2,100 miles, and have less than 500 to go, the answer is a resounding “No.”
Do we as a community want to allow these guys to make decisions for us when
we can raise consciousness and change our behavior before that happens?  If
we don’t change our behavior, we will certainly get what we deserve, IMHO.

L-Rod

   _____