[pct-l] Water caches on BLM lands

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 2 13:22:15 CST 2008

No, we didn't even think to ask the BLM for permission.

This week Jodi is cacheing water along the BLM areas in Utah and Nevada. She
ran into a BLM man in eastern Utah. My impression is that he didn't say
anything about cacheing water out there. My question was why did she try to
cache water out there in the last week of December. Brrrr. The answer, of
course, is that was the timeframe that she had available to do the cacheing.
Reading her journal entries (
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6461 ) and hearing stories
not yet posted, takes water cacheing to a whole new level.

And we did get to walk thru some big cities as someone suggested for a moved
PCT. We felt less secure around more people, but in all cases the American
people were friendly and extremely helpful.  We found trail angels across
the country who had never heard of long-distance hiking. Instead of moving
the PCT off the crest I suggest people start hiking the Pacific Coast Trail
to get their urban hiking fix.

Our favorite section of the ADT, by far, was the wilderness areas of Nevada
and Utah. It was full of grand views and wildlife sightings. And empty of
people.

Ken