[pct-l] OT - PCT IRC Channel

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:58:54 CST 2008

That's irrational fearmongering. If we were on some big network like
Efnet and half our users were hunting for porn or warez that might be
the case but on a small network like irc.xkcd.com that's far from the
case -- there's no bots to even offer downloads. (associated with
comic http://www.xkcd.com )

IRC itself is no more or less dangerous than e-mail, as a medium, for
transmission of virii or adware or spam. It's a conversation medium. A
room and server properly policed offers no danger to its users.

In fact, its safer than e-mail in the case of viruses and spam -- most
spam and viruses are transmitted by e-mail. Heck, I've never even been
spammed on an IRC server because I stick to the tame parts.

To call IRC the bottom of the barrel is incorrect. IRC isn't the
ghetto of the internet, far from it. I think perhaps Postholer has had
some bad experiences on the bigger networks.