[pct-l] Route Finding

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 4 00:32:15 CST 2008

If you can live with 1:100,000 scale maps you can use Topo Back Road
Explorer. That product contains the whole US down to that scale.  You can
integrate Topo's state series with Back Road Explorer. Think of Back Road
Explorer as having level 4 of Topo for all states. When you zoom to level 5
for a state you don't have installed the progran simply magnifies the level
4 map. I have found that trails drawn on the underlying USGS maps are not
always accurate. The trails are not consistent between levels either. Look
at the PCT behind Squaw Peak. The American Discovery Trail comes down the
mountain to meet the PCT in 2 very different routes on those maps.

I have looked at several downloadable traces of the PCT. I plotted them all
on Topo in one view. Then I loaded the results into Google Earth. For the
areas I looked at the USFS trace named PCT05 is the closest to the actual
trail. Most of the time you can actually see the trail. All of the traces
are pretty good and would be fun to hike with. Tom Reynolds traces from Topo
Mapxchange were probably the first traces that were available, so they won't
have any reroutes from the last few years.

Ken
www GottaWalk com