[pct-l] rope?

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 14:38:29 CST 2008

>Hanging food is no longer allowed in the Sierras

Mostly true.  But not using a cannister may raise moral issues too.  Some new info eliminating bagging in the north of Tuolumne was recently posted on the PCT-L (Ken? Was that you?), but this is the info as of March 22, 2007.  It is FAR from practical, but it is possible (maybe) with one side trip, to use bagging and bear box only.  I'm not going to try it this year.  Also, I found that all the rangers are not aware of the regulations in their area, and one, for three years or more, has even been going outside her area to enforce laws that she makes up to harass hikers. (Fact with a twist of resentment)
See archives for "Psycho Ranger" Roselle.  (Email me off list for details or suggestions as the situation has not been corrected) montytam at gmail.com

Details:

Bear canister requirements:

South to north PCT food storage regulations and bear box locations Written by Warner Springs Monty

http://www.onthetrail.org/Outdoors/PCT/pctlinks.html

Recent (3/22/07) US Forest Service Map of Same and more

http://www.sierrawildbear.gov