[pct-l] thru hikers

JoAnn jomike at cot.net
Fri Jan 4 18:28:24 CST 2008

Yep, you do great and wonderful things from what I hear. But, my set-up is quite different. I've been delighted (since I am one) to help a lot of section hikers. It's been good fun and some we see the next year as they return and pick up where they left off. Two I can think of right off the bat is "Boots" McFarland and her friends, and, Susan and Ralph Alcorn.

Anyway, this will be my sixth (?) year with our one and only Sly being the very first. Within minutes of making the post, I heard from Greg who will be with us at least one day and night so I can feed him, do laundry, give him a good soft bed while he's hear, etc., as he passes through heading to Canada!

are we there yet
I had to giggle when I read your post. When we started hosting hikers we had no idea how many were out there. We figured 10-12 hikers each year....hey no problem. Once the word gets out......they will come. We had all the hikers staying in our house. (except Billy Goat...:) he likes it outside) Hard to make them sleep out in the rain up here.15 hikers for about 5 days in a row inside was our top number. We had no room for us. So we have now almost finished the hiker loft. Should sleep 15....some in beds...some on the floor. They can still tent outside if there's more. We have had to discontinue the use of our new kitchen due to abuse by the hikers. Also, the hot tub in now off limits because of repeated damage. We love the hikers and do a lot for them but just remember this is your home and you need to set limits. We end up with between 175-250 a year coming through. Most stay here and some stay in town. I collect stuff for the hikers all year and try to have everything here they might need to fill in the needed supplies for them to finish the last leg of their trip. You will end up trying to adopt most of them. It make for a huge close family. Enjoy.

PCT Mom