[pct-l] Visas and passes?? (Josh 'the Brit' Henderson)

David Toms dave at davetoms.com
Sat Jan 5 13:34:14 CST 2008

Josh, My understanding, unless anything has changed, is that you cannot legally accomplish what you want to do. The advice you have been given (i.e. enter the US initially but then don't technically leave when you go out overland to Canada to start from Manning) may be what other people have done successfully, but if you are caught, can result in anything from a permanent ban on entering the US, through a fine, to imprisonment.  That doesn't mean you can't do it, but I'd verify all the well-intentioned advice you'll get from this board with the embassy in London so you can make your own judgement call. Certainly in 2005 it was illegal - most people risked it, I wouldn't. If you'll ever _need_ to enter the US again (if your job takes you there, or you have relatives there) its a helluva risk to take. if entering the US again is optional, then its a different judgement call. The rules in 05 stated that UK citizens could only enter the US at a recognised port of entry, irrespective of whether they had already entered and left. Thus the only legal way to achieve a SOBO hike as brit is to get a ride (somehow!) to Hart's Pass, hike the ?40miles to the border from there, then turnaround and come back. You're right about needing a visa, which restricts you to 6months max in the US (although can be extended in-country with good reason). Bear in mind that will start from the date you land in the US, and thus if you take a few days leaving and reentering from Canada without declaring it, the clock will still be running. When Michele & I got our visas we had to be interviewed at the US embassy in london and demonstrate that we had sufficient funds for our trip, that we were genuinely planning the hike (the interviewer had obviously been on the PCTA website and quizzed us on a few basic facts), and that we had reason to return to the UK (us both working in professional regulated industries which would require years of retraining for the US made this a quick process). I know of other hikers who tried to get longer visas and failed, including one who investigated getting a sportsmans visa but found it wouldn't work. Assuming the interview process is still underway, try and get a 9am appointment and don't worry about the huge queue when you arrive, they pull out the people by appointment time. Good luck,Dave

Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!