[pct-l] Missing hiker on the AT

danandgailsc at aol.com danandgailsc at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 13:55:22 CST 2008

Both of these tragedies?happened within a couple of hours' driving time from here.? There are a number of other similarities between the 2, besides the yellow rain jacket--

proximity?between the 2 locations--1 hr between ATM withdrawal of 1st incident (Ducktown, TN)?and trailhead of 2nd incident;
"blunt trauma" to back of head of 1st victim;?baton weapon found in 2nd incident;
Hilton attempted to use ATM card of 2nd victim, as happened in 1st incident.

Needless to say, I have followed these stories with great interest for many reasons--
They happened in my "backyard" where we hike--we've hiked in both locations many times; and my wife, Gutsy, frequently hikes alone.? However, we don't stop driving down I-85 (pick a highway) just because a deadly accident occured there, do we?? I, like Sly, feel safer on the trail than around populated areas.

By the way, neither incident happened on the AT.

Dan

Pretty sad for a hiker to perhaps be killed. This may be connected to another double homicide in NC? recently too, may indeed be the same man they arrested today.

?

I just wanted to add, it's probably not the same guy.?

?

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=109062

?

Sly