[pct-l] Legal Ponderings......

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Sun Jan 6 19:21:05 CST 2008

On a winter snowshoe/ski trip in the Mammoth area a couple years ago
(organized on-line) one of the participants (well known in the
mountaineering community) punched through the snow into a snow cavern
caused by a thermal vent. He was hanging by his arms on the snow with
his feet not touching the ground. The group dug him out without harm. As
we finished the hike he made a comment that he knew someone would post
about it on the internet. Two minutes later I said "already done" and
showed him my Blackberry.

When I cut my trip short this summer because of badly blistered soles,
it was on several trail journals even before I got home. It didn't
bother me at all. I guess if you really want privacy adopt a trail name
that you use only for the trail, don't let anyone in your other life
know your trail name, and wear Groucho Marx glasses and moustache so no
one at home will recognize any pictures that get posted.

AsABat