[pct-l] Record snow levels in Washington bad news for SOBOs

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Mon Jan 7 18:25:34 CST 2008

It's still early.  We won't what percentage of normal snowpack we end up
with until late March/early April.  True, we're ahead of the game now,
but we have at least as much of the snowfall season ahead of us as
behind us.

Even after the season's snowpack results are in in early April, our
springtime weather will obviously affect the meltout.

If we do end up with a snowpack like 98-99 and we get a normal Spring,
it will make for a really lousy summer hiking season.  (And yes if that
turns out to be the case, then SOBO's may want to reconsider their
direction--but wait till May or later before making that call.)

Hiking in WA in September, 1999, felt more like late July in terms of
snowfields AND bugs.  We never really had a bugless season that year.
Most years you can expect a serious decline in bugs starting about
mid-August.  September is usually a bug free month.  But not in 1999.

So let's tell those "Think snow!" folks to cut it out.

Greg