[pct-l] New Cuben Gear

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Wed Jan 9 10:37:37 CST 2008

Folks,

All joking aside about the water caches, I do have a serious question re: these ultralight packs.  Many of these ultralight packs appear to have capacity to carry no more than 25lbs.  Assuming my base weight is 10 lbs and my food weight for 5 days is another 10 lbs, how does one reasonably carry sufficient water to get through some of these long waterless stretches along the PCT?  6 liters of water would seem to max out some of these ultralight packs.  Would like to hear (off-line if you prefer) thoughts on how you ultra-light pack users deal with these issues.

Jeff

From: jeff.singewald at comcast.net

Looking at the pictures it sure doesn't appear to provide the comfort that I would want for a thru-hike.  Additionally, it doesn't appear that it would provide the support necessary to carry 6-8 liters of water through those long waterless stretches.  But with all the water caches, these long carries are becoming a thing of the past, so this might just be the ticket!

From: "Steel-Eye" <chelin at teleport.com>

Good morning, All,

I have one of Joe's early models which weighs 3.4 oz.  I really like it, but I've not yet used it on a long hike .... only on short, local sections.  It seems as light as a puff of smoke with shoulder straps.  I might put it to work this summer in N. California.

Any ultra-ultra-light pack requires extra care.  I would be concerned if someone wanted to step from a heavy, bullet-proof Gregory to one of these .... whomever the maker may be.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^