[pct-l] Cuben Packs

Eric Payne vaporjourney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:27:14 CST 2008

I'm having the same dillemma when deciding if I should get a UL frameless
pack or not.  Even though I've got my base weight down to 8 lbs, it will
still be pushing it on long water hauls and a 10 day resupply thru the High
Sierra.  Still, if the pack is well made, I feel that it can withstand a few
days when it is pushed to the 30 lb limit.  If you read the PCT report on
the zpacks site, the guy says he had his pack loaded with over 30 lbs of
gear, and it held up fine.  This would jive with the opinions on the
Mountain Laurel Designs site that say 25 lbs is max weight for comfortable
carrying on a day to day basis, and absolute max would be 30-35 lbs.  I'm
pretty sure that the fabric (be it Cuben or Silnylon) can withstand the
weight put on it, but the seams at the straps would be the main issue.  This
is where Gossamer Gear packs typically fail.  People say the silnylon will
last if taken care of, but the seams at the shoulder straps typically give
way when maxed out.

Interesting point:  Andrew Skurka told me in an email that the had his
Golite Jam2 packed with over 50 lbs on one stretch, and several times in the
low 30's, and this one pack lasted for over 6,000 miles of hiking.  Be wary
of people who tell you ultralight packs won't last, especially when they've
never strayed away from a pack with a framesheet...