[pct-l] How flat is So Cal?

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Jan 9 23:12:36 CST 2008

Using poles or not using poles is such a personal choice.  Many hikers
prefer hiking without them.  Personally, I really enjoy and benefit from
using mine.  So whether you need them or not is really something you have to
decide.  There are some substantial elevation gains and losses in So Cal and
some sketchy “shelves” or “ledges” which can be even more intimidating for
some with ice or snow on them.  The San Jacintos with snow and ice have
scared the s**t out of more than a few hikers.  Keep you eye on snow
conditions down south, as well as the Sierras.  In ’05 when the snow and
rainfall broke the record, the So Cal sections were quite the challenge.

L-Rod

   _____